Wednesday, July 30, 2008

And off to the Trade shows we will go.......

It's that time again.... Trade shows galore!
I've already been to one affair already and there are another 3 coming up in the next week or so!
I guess I don't have to go to them... no one is forcing me.
BUT I can't stand not having a sticky beak at what's out there.
What's new?

The problems I always face with these events:
*I have limited time to visit - because I have little ones (so I run around and try to see everyone in one day... the shows go for about 5 days).

*I have to negotiate between what I WANT to order and what THEY (the suppliers showing their wears) MAKE me order. Example: MUST spend $250 min. or order 10 of this item minimum. (Actually WE don't do any negotiating at all, it's me deciding whether I REALLY want this product or brand enough to blow more money on them.)

*There is also the "Internet Store" stigma that I have to go through with new brands (some, not all). Some don't want to do business with you if you don't have a bricks and mortar shop. And then there are the brands who you have been supporting and buying from who open their own e-store and then don't want to deal with you anymore. Weird har??

*The biggest dilemma I face is actually narrowing down all the fantastic stuff that's on offer from so many great labels (including the ones I already support) and deciding THIS IS WHAT I WILL ORDER. If I had a money tree, I'd be right! But I don't and I'm not going to sell my first born to get next season's must haves...... and neither should you.

I did not mean for this to be a rant, but I think it would be interesting for some to know what a buyer may be going through. Or maybe it's just me!
On a more positive note, I am looking forward to going to the Trade fairs! Really!
It's like window shopping and you get to chat with people who really dig the stuff they're representing.
I'll keep you posted.....

No comments: